- Visit the public library or Chapters book store - no need to spend any money! Just enjoy reading some new books together.
- Write thank you cards for Christmas gifts.
- Read a book, like The Polar Express, together and then watch the movie. This can lead to a great compare and contrast conversation.
- Check out the free iMotion app. Kids can create silent films of their Lego figurines or stuffed animals using stop-motion photography.
- Have a board game tournament - choose only one game or many and keep track of scores to see who comes out on top!
- Bake something yummy together and let your kids do the measuring.
- Make a bird feeder - spread peanut butter (or alternative) on a pine cone and roll in seeds. Hang outside and watch for some beautiful visitors outside your window.
- Go on a nature walk. Port Coquitlam has many trails to explore so bundle up and enjoy some hot chocolate at the end.
- Conduct simple yet amazing science experiments. Mix water with cornstarch to make a strange solid/liquid goop. Combine baking soda and vinegar in a bottle and quickly cover the top with a balloon to see it fill with carbon dioxide.
- Go on a photo safari of your neighbourhood. Allow your child to take pictures of favourite or interesting objects and turn it into a computer slide show or photo book.
- Make an obstacle course around the house.
- Go skating or swimming at a recreation centre.
- Have a dance party. Turn up the music and bust a move!
Social and Emotional Development
- Plan play dates with friends.
- Choose gently used toys and clothing to donate to a charity, such as SHARE.
- Watch family movies or look at photo albums together.