A: Absolutely not. Your concerns are totally valid. BC’s RCMP say that kids aged 5-9 are the most vulnerable as pedestrians. Here’s what you and everyone involved with drop offs and pick ups can do to keep our kids safe.
1. Play by the rules of drop off.
I know mornings are rushed for everyone, but let’s work together as Blakeburn parents to keep all the kids safe.
- The speed limit is 30 km/hour around Blakeburn. Inside the drop-off zone, it is 10 km/hour, even when you are late!
- Do not stop in the “no drop-off” area indicated with diagonal yellow lines. This area is designated for the daycare buses only.
- Pull as far forward in the drop-off lane as possible, even when you are the only car in the lane. Often the lane will fill up within seconds.
- When using the lane in front of the school for drop-offs, take no more than 30 seconds to let your kids out of your car.
- Pull out of the drop off lane as soon as you are done and proceed out of the Blakeburn lot. Use your turning signals to change lanes and be courteous to other cars pulling out ahead of you.
- If you want to see your kids get all the way to the front door, the drop-off lane is not for you. Please park on the street and walk them in.
2. Model traffic safety.
I know I’m guilty of jaywalking but it doesn’t help my kindergartener to see Mom doing it and think that’s okay. Teach your kids these traffic safety rules by following them yourself:
- Obey all signs and traffic or pedestrian signals
- Don’t walk between parked cars to cross the street
- Use a marked crosswalk at an intersection when possible
- Look in all directions, even at a pedestrian crossing, before you cross the street
- Walk – don’t run when you cross any street or road
- When you have to walk where there is no sidewalk – walk on the left side, facing oncoming traffic
- Wear light, reflective clothing when possible
- Wearing headphones can be a hazard as you are not aware of your surroundings
Source: BC RCMP - http://bc.cb.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ViewPage.action?siteNodeId=87&languageId=1&contentId=6729